Dr. Stephen K. Malone of Knoxville, TN is a certified Invisalign® provider. Many Knoxville teens require orthodontic treatment, but they dread the thought of metal braces for both aesthetic and comfort reasons. Invisalign Teen® can correct most of the same issues as traditional braces. However, the clear aligner trays are more discreet, comfortable, and convenient than other orthodontic options.
Watch Our Video, Knoxville Teen Invisalign Procedure Explained
Invisalign Teen®: The Basics
If you choose Invisalign Teen for your child, Dr. Malone will take digital images of the teeth and upl, where experienced lab technicians will craft a series of custom trays called “aligners”. Each aligner is shaped slightly differently. They will put a gentle pressure on your teen’s teeth. Approximately every two weeks, your teen will switch to a new set of aligners (a new tray for the upper teeth and a new tray for the lower teeth). Treatment will be completed In 9 to 24 months, depending on the amount of movement required and the number of hours per day your teen wears the aligners.
Invisalign Teen® is specially designed to help teens learn to take responsibility for their treatment. Each tray is equipped with unique blue dots, which will appear only when it is time to switch to a new tray. The dots will serve as a visible reminder for both you and your child. In addition, Invisalign Teen provides up to six replacements for missing aligners.
Candidates for Invisalign Teen®
In the past, dentists only recommended Invisalign® for patients with cosmetic issues. Today, however, the treatment is appropriate for patients with more dramatic forms of misalignment. If your teen has a mild to moderate overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite, Invisalign Teen may be a good option. Dr. Malone may refer you to an orthodontist if your child has particularly severe orthodontic issues. In addition, as a candidate for Invisalign Teen, she or he should be responsible enough to maintain the treatment. It is important to wear the trays about 22 hours a day and switch aligners on schedule.
6 Reasons to Choose Invisalign Teen®
If Dr. Malone determines that your child is a candidate for Invisalign Teen, there are a number of reasons to consider the treatment. The advantages include:
- Subtlety: As the name suggests, Invisalign Teen aligners are practically invisible. This can be very advantageous, especially if your older teen is preparing for graduation, college applications, and other major milestones.
- Comfort: Invisalign Teen aligners will exert pressure on your teen’s teeth. However, the force will typically be much gentler than that needed for traditional braces. In addition, technicians will craft the aligners from smooth plastic, which will not irritate the lips or cheeks.
- Improved oral hygiene: Your teen will be able to remove Invisalign Teen trays to brush her or his teeth. Therefore, your child can maintain better dental care, resulting in a reduced risk for decay and discoloration.
- Fewer trips to the dentist: When your teen has traditional braces, she or he will need to visit the orthodontist as often as once a month to have the braces tightened. While Invisalign Teen certainly requires follow-ups, you will need to visit the dentist less frequently.
- Minimal effects on your teen’s life: Traditional wire and bracket braces can impact your teen’s ability to enjoy favorite foods. They can also pose a risk if your teen is an athlete or a musician. Comfortable, discreet Invisalign Teen will allow your child to enjoy all favorite activities without disruption.
- Effective: Most importantly, Invisalign Teen is highly effective. Your child will enjoy a more stunning smile and, in many cases, a reduced risk for decay, bruxism, and TMJ Disorder.
Find Out If Your Child Is a Candidate for Treatment
Learn more about Invisalign Teen® and why it can be a great option for your child. Contact Dr. Malone’s office to book a consultation.